September 2004 was an important month for me, though I was completely unaware of what was going on at the time. A young and handsome twenty year old was signing five years of his life over to the Navy. Though he didn't know it, he signed me up too.
Before I say anything else, I don't want anyone to think that I see my role, being at home, as being the same or more difficult than Joe's. I've seen bumper stickers around base that say "Navy Wife- Toughest Job in the Navy" and while I respect that thought, I personally don't agree with it. Joe leaves practically everything behind- save what he can pack in a large duffel bag, and leaves to go out on the sub- for as long as they tell him he's going to be gone. He's stuck in a closed environment with the same people all the time-some people who he is very close to, some people who probably drive him crazy. No personal space, very few comforts, long work hours, intense pressure, and leaving "real life" behind to honor his commitment. Country before family is a reality to him. Not because he wants it to be, because it has to be.
Anyway, the past three plus years I've learned that my life is the Navy life too. Sometimes I feel like I'm better cut out for it than other wives and girlfriends. I've always had an independent streak that likes to do my own thing and have time to myself.
Other times I feel the sting, the loneliness, the frustration at having no control over Joe's schedule (including whether he'll be home for the birth of our baby), and all of a sudden realizing that it's been a really long time since someone gave me a hug.
God has taught me a lot through this season of Navy life... I've learned what a sacrifice it really is for those who serve in the military. I appreciate Joe more and get a true sense of joy when I am reunited with him after a long separation. God has helped me to not stress over when I don't have control of my circumstances, I never really do anyway!
Even though he signed me up for the Navy too, I wouldn't give him up for anything.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Wish I could give you a hug and go out of movie dates with you when Joe is gone...oh, wait, we used to do that...some of the best times in my life...
May God bless your (and Joe's) perserverance and sacrifice. Keep your chin up!
Post a Comment